Institutional links

Pardons FAQ

1. What is a Canada Pardon? (AKA a Record Suspension)

A Standard Canada Pardon / Record Suspension is an order by the Parole Board of Canada that removes your criminal record from CPIC (the Canadian Police Information Center's computer system), which makes it unavailable to all other Canadian police detachments and border officials. As well, your record can no longer be accessed by APIS (Advance Passenger Information System) a computer system used by US Customs airport officials. Once pardoned your criminal record information may still be seen by the arresting police detachment on their internal PIRS or PROS system, however such information is usually not accessed if nothing comes up on CPIC.

1A. What are the new waiting periods and rules regarding Canada Pardons / Record Suspensions?

New waiting periods are: 5 years for all Summary convictions and 10 years for all Indictable convictions, starting after all dispositions have been served, except if you live in B.C. or Ontario, which is back under the 3 and 5 year rule for offenses prior to March 12 of 2012. If you have a Schedule 1 sexual conviction involving a minor, or if you have 3 or more Indictable convictions, each with a prison sentence of 2 years or more,
you are no longer eligible to receive a Pardon. Note: For all offenses you now must write a Personal Letter of Rehabilitation (Step 9) to the PBC (provided with very detailed instructions and a fillable Word or PDF form). Sworn Affidavits may also be required when Court Records are no longer available (provided in our office by a Notary Public).

1B. How long does it take the Ottawa RCMP to remove the information from CPIC after my Pardon is granted?

Normally all the information is removed from CPIC within 2 weeks after the Pardon is granted. This means by the time you receive your Pardon Certificate in the mail, the information on CPIC should have been removed.

2. Do you process out-of-province and out-of-country Canadian Pardon applications?

Yes, we can process Pardon applications for Canadians living anywhere in the world, as long as the area receives mail and/or courier deliveries.

3A. How much does a Canada Pardon cost?

Our fee for processing a Canada Pardon application is: $695.00 plus GST ($34.75) = $729.75. Our $695.00 Administration Fee includes: Free Priority Service, Application and Document Processing, Application Tracking, Agency Follow-up Phone Calls, Email Updates, Express Courier Fees, Return Postage, Faxes, Document Scanning, Photocopies and Document Certification Fees. Disbursements Fees: $84.00 for Court Records from Alberta. Local Police Record Search Fee ($35.00 Administration Fee plus the Police Agency Fee - free to $70.00 depending on the police agency). Note: When your application is ready to be submitted you will be required to pay the Parole Board Filing Fee, which is now $631.00 (as of February 23, 2012) Note: There will be a $84.00 biometric fingerprinting fee charged by Alberta Fingerprinting Services (which will speed up the processing of your Certified Record). If you live outside the Edmonton area we will arrange for you to be fingerprinted at the nearest biometric fingerprinting office or your local police station. There you will have to pay their fingerprinting fee, which ranges in cost.Note: Court Record Search fees will normally apply for each offense. Additional fees will also apply if you have served in the Canadian Military, and for each Local Police Records Check from where you have lived for last 5 years. Military Record Searches are $84.00 each, and Local Police Record Checks are $35.00, including GST, plus the Police Agency Fee (if applicable). Note: If you have any type of Assault conviction besides a section 266, the PBC requires official "Proof of Age" of the victim by ordering a copy of the Police File. The fee for this is normally $252.00 per file including GST. Note: If you have a Sexual Assault conviction against an adult there will be an additional fee of $504.00, as there is additional paperwork and we will also need to do a Privacy Act Information Request to the arresting police agency. 

4. How long does it take to process a Canada Pardon application?

For 1 to 3 Summary offenses, it is currently taking about 3 months to assemble a Pardon application and then it takes the Parole Board about 5 months to process the application and grant a Pardon. Unfortunately, there is no faster way to do this, no matter how much you pay some other company. Note: Our Priority Pardon Service means we prioritize your application and all paperwork is done within a 24 to 48 hour period. We have the dedicated staff to do this and we do not charge extra for this. Note: If you have 4 or more offenses and/or have committed an Indictable offense(s) or you have recent charges on your Local Police Record Check, it may take up to 6 months to assemble your Pardon application due to backlogs at courthouses, and then another 12 to 15 months for the Parole Board to process it. For more detailed information when it comes to current application processing times, please see Our Current Application Processing Times.

5. Can you get the Parole Board to rush my Canada Pardon application, and if so how much more will I have to pay?

Unfortunately, the Parole Board is no longer providing priority Pardon / Record Suspension services for any reason, due to the extremely high volume of priority requests that have been received in the last few years. For more information CLICK HERE. NOTE: Companies that still claim to have a Priority Pardon Service that assures a Pardon application will be completed and granted faster than normal, in our opinion, are committing fraud.

6. Am I guaranteed that I will get a Canadian Pardon?

We guarantee that you will get a Canadian Pardon as long as you are eligible to receive one. This means the RCMP have not stated that a criminal record does not exist, you have not recently committed or been involved in any offense(s) that would void your eligibility or indicate that you are still deemed to be a high risk to re-offend, you have completed your 5 or 10 year waiting period, all fines have been paid and all penalties and/or dispositions have been served, there are no outstanding warrants for your arrest, and you have had no negative police interactions within the last 5 years which the Parole Board can use against you, including speeding tickets they can use against multiple and/or Indictable offenders. 

7. Can you help me if I received a Canada Pardon on my own or through another company and now wish to enter the U.S.?

Unfortunately, due to time restraints and the many complications that often arise, we can only provide US Waiver application services, if required.

8. Does a Canada Pardon / Record Suspension allow me to enter the U.S.?

Unfortunately, US Customs does not recognize a Canada Pardon if they become aware of it. If you have never been denied entry, deported or interviewed by US Customs, and US Customs has never accessed your criminal record via CPIC or APIS prior to you being granted a Canada Pardon, and your criminal record was properly sealed, then US Customs will no longer be able to access it on CPIC or APIS However, US Customs officials have several ways of finding out if you have ever committed a criminal offense, or if you were ever arrested and fingerprinted. If you are not properly prepared to answer their wide assortment of questions you could be denied entry, face property seizures, short-term imprisonment, and be banned from entering the US in the future. Our Standard Canada Pardon removes your criminal record from CPIC and APIS, and includes all the information you will need to navigate US Customs, which saves thousands of dollars and a lot of grief in not requiring US Waiver services. Note: If you were at one time involved or suspected of trafficking narcotics your Record will have most likely been put on the Dangerous Drugs List in Ottawa. Also, if you were suspected of other domestic or international gang related activities, or you have multiple sexual assault charges, or you have weapons offenses, detailed information may have been placed on PIP, and a copy of your record could have been sent to the FBI and/or placed on Interpol. If so a Pardon will not remove this information, and US Customs has access to the information. Also, if there were co-accused and they provide court records to US Customs with your name on them, you will most likely be red-flagged.

9. When can I apply for a Canada Pardon / Record Suspension?

In order to be eligible to receive a Pardon, you must have completed your sentence and then have waited 5 or 10 years, depending on what type of offense is on your record, while being “of good conduct” during the same period. Completion means all fines, surcharges, restitution, etc., have been paid, jail time has been served, and all probation has been completed, for all offenses. Note: The PBC now demands that all applicants prove that all fines, etc., were paid via Certified Court Records, no matter when the penalty was issued. There is no waiting period to apply for a US Waiver but Homeland Security likes to see a 5-year or more crime-free history before granting a US Waiver.

10. Can my Pardon application be denied, and if so would I get a refund?

If you are found to be not of good conduct your application can be denied.
No company provides refunds after an application has been completed and submitted to the PBC. Partial refunds are given if an applicant is not eligible to receive a Pardon.

11. How do I apply for a Pardon?

You can call our office and apply over the telephone or fill out our secure on line application form and submit it to us along with your on line payment

12. Does a Pardon allow me to enter other countries?

Most countries (except for the USA, UK and Australia) will not ask you self-incriminating questions, even if they don't have access to CPIC. Of course if you freely admit to having a criminal record for serious offenses, or a copy of your record has been placed on Interpol, you could be questioned at length and possibly denied entry. For more information on traveling abroad when you still have a criminal record, you should contact the Consulate General's office of the country.

13. Do you provide free information to people who are applying for a Pardon on their own?

No. This is due to the many time consuming complications that arise which take our staff away from the duties and responsibilities of serving our clients.

14. Can I still be Pardoned for a sexual offense?

Yes, as long as the victim was not a minor, and after being of good conduct for 5 or 10 years. However, your name will be flagged in the Canada National Repository. This means if you are going to work around vulnerable people such as children, seniors or disabled individuals, you will be required to disclose your past criminal history to the employer before employment. If the victim was a minor and you were not more than 5 years older then the victim, you may still be eligible to receive a Pardon.

15. Will the PBC process my Pardon application if I die during the lengthy process?

Unfortunately, we have heard that the PBC will stop processing a Pardon application if they hear the applicant has perished during the 6 to 12 month process. On January 14, 2016 an officer from the PBC explained that they will cancel the application if they hear that the applicant is deceased. For this reason, we no longer advise updating the PBC if the applicant has perished.

16. What is an FPS Number?

An FPS Number is a FingerPrint Section Number, which is a number that is put on CPIC when you are fingerprinted after committing a criminal offense. We have very good reason to believe that all Passports are now encoded with an FPS (FingerPrint Section) number if you have a criminal record on CPIC at the time your Passport is processed. To see an example of what happens when your Passport is scanned by US Customs CLICK HERE.

17. Do all criminal convictions prevent me from entering the U.S.?

No. At this time people who have been convicted of only 1 Summary offense (not including a Possession of Narcotics offense) or who have 1 DUI, Reckless Driving, Mischief, Possession of a Restricted Weapon, Illegal Possession of Firearm, Fail to Appear, Fail to Comply, and General Assault (Sec 266) offenses are allowed to enter the U.S. However, when multiple charges are on the record, spanning over a long period of time, some US Customs officers will deny entry and demand an I-192 Waiver application.

18. Do you provide a Letter Writing Service for a Proposal to Deny or Proposal to Revoke a Pardon?

Yes, if you receive a Letter from the Parole Board saying they are proposing to deny your Pardon application due to recent negative police interactions, or they are proposing to revoke your pardon due to you having committed another criminal offense, for a fee we can assist you in writing a letter to the Parole Board within the 90 day time period. Please call us for more details.

19. How can I get a possession of pot / marijuana / cannabis record suspension purged?

The Parole Board of Canada is now accepting Cannabis Record Suspensions. There is no filing fee to submit an application if you are willing to obtain all the required Records and then mail your application in. If you would like our assistance, for $249 plus GST, plus disbursements, our office will assemble all the required documents and submit them on your behalf. To apply online please complete our Cannabis Record Suspension Application. Note: Disbursements may include fingerprinting, in order to obtain a Criminal Record from the RCMP, or a Local Police Record, in order to see the Charge and Conviction date, as we need to prove the charge was for simple / minor possession of cannabis, and not some other narcotic. Once the Parole Board of Canada purges the possession of cannabis conviction, the charge(s) will be removed from CPIC and APIS, meaning US Customs or any other agency will no longer see the conviction. Our service includes a Cover Letter explaining how to navigate US Customs and other customs officials.